Tuesday, January 14, 2014

Influenster VoxBox Sally Hansen Complete Salon Manicure Total Knockout Challenge: Part 2

What I Did
On my left foot, I painted Sally Hansen Complete Salon Manicure in Red My Lips. On my right foot, I used a similar shade from a competing brand, Essie Size Matters. To both hands, I applied Sally Hansen Complete Salon Manicure in Pat on the Black.

Application
Contradictory to benefits promised of Sally Hansen, I did face slight problems in color coverage and streaking.  Particularly with the darkest shade, Pat on the Black, I noticed that the first layer went on somewhat sheerly. This was easily solved with a second coat but left a bit of a mess around the edges, where my brush strokes did not line up exactly.

Brush Size
Although many women apparently preferred Sally Hansen's larger than average brush, I did not. I painted one foot with an Essie polish (known for tiny brushes) and one with Sally Hansen Red My Lips. The toes I painted with the Essie polish (in a similar shade) went on noticeably neater, quicker, and left a nice pedicure. On both my toes and finger nails, I struggled more than usual with the Sally Hansen brush. I took more time trying to "paint between the lines" and required more cleanup than usual.

Finish
Once a second layer was added, I did notice an adequate shine to the polish that I haven't necessarily seen with all other brands. I would be content wearing this polish with a top coat, if I weren't so impatient about drying time. (Because of this, I went ahead and added Essie Good to Go top coat.) However, I would not equate the finish to that of a gel manicure.

Overall
Likes:
  • Glossy finish
  • Consistency -- neither too thin nor too thick
Dislikes:
  • Some streaking/lack of coverage on first layer
  • Brush size too large and clumsy to work with
For now, here's my manicure! (Please excuse my need for a cleanup.)

Sally Hansen Complete Salon Manicure in Pat on the Black

I'm sure I'll have more to say in a few days' time.

No comments:

Post a Comment